In Legal Updates


In response to the increase in consumer issues arising from sectional title tenure and living, the Department of Human Settlements has put in place new legislation in the form of a community schemes ombud service.

The office of the ombudsman will resolve disputes arising in any community scheme through mediation/conciliation or adjudication.

The Act was promulgated in 2011 and is expected shortly to become operational. Nonetheless, the ombudsman’s office has already received hundreds of matters through its website. Even though they can provide complainants with advice, a dispute cannot yet be adjudicated at this stage.

A complaint can be lodged on the body’s website at in writing, after which the ombudsman will examine the claim to establish whether it has any merit.

For advice and/or mediation on sectional title issues, contact the professionals at STBB

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Start typing and press Enter to search

Share This